Thursday, April 20, 2006

I am a voice nerd...

To me, all singing is beautiful - if it is healthy, and if I have a sense that the motivation behind it is healthy too. I am fascinated by the range of sounds that a human voice is capable of (even though there are certain performances I don't like). We have both been saying for years that we are voice nerds, and there are advantages and disadvantages to living with someone who shares your passions. We rarely get into arguments about voice qualities (although it does happen), but singing and speaking voices are so evocative that it can be easy to become obsessed with detail. Although it does have its funny side...

We were sitting have a quick lunch in Sainsburys, when an extraordinary cover version of Didn't We Almost Have It All came on the tannoy. It sounded like an adolescent girl, belting up to high Gs and Abs - it was exciting and absurd at the same time. We were both transfixed over our pasta. So of course I had to ask the Sainsburys staff what it was. I think the catering assistant thought we were a little weird but she did go and take the cassette out of the player to bring to us. Unfortunately I'm still no wiser, as it was on a compilation cassette made especially for the store as background music, and had no label.

If anyone knows who might have recorded a high cover version of Didn't We Almost Have It All, please email me or post a comment below. I'd love to hear from you - we really want to play it on our next course!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home